Tuesday, March 10, 2009

3rd & 4th Journal Topic due March 24

We are doing an old favorite this week: A Squiggle!!!


Here's How It Works
1. First, each student received a squiggle (doodle) in his/her journal which looked something like this:






2. Next, the student is to turn that squiggle into something (see example below):
I added on to the original squiggle to make a worm. (Isn't she cute, Grayson? ha ha)


3. The last step is to journal about what you drew. There are many directions you can go in once you get to this step. Some possibilities for my worm drawing are:
-write about a time I saw a worm
-write about a time I used a worm for fishing
-write about how I feel about worms
-do research and write facts about worms
-write about what the worm reminds me of
-write a poem about the worm
-write about what the worm reminds me of
-make up a story about a worm
-describe or explain its purpose/uses
-describe what the worm looks like
and so on...

Squiggle Rules
1. Do not spend more than five minutes on drawing your squiggle. This is a writing class; not an art class. :)
2. Add your design to the squiggle in a different color than I drew it in so I can easily tell what I drew and what YOU drew.
3. Be sure that you write the required amount: 3rd = 1/2 a page, 4th grade = 3/4 a page (if you skip lines, remember to write TWICE as much to make up for the lines you skipped over).